I just got back from a trip to Laguna Beach with my family. We had a great time. We were in a beautiful beach house right on the beach. The weather was great and the water was great too. However, I decided that it must be because I didn't grow up near the ocean that I have some fears of the ocean - some rational, some not.
First fear - a giant tsunami. John and I went running a few times and whenever we got kind of far away I would get nervous that if a tsunami were to happen I wouldn't be able to get back to Maisey in time. Then I would start watching the surf to make sure I noticed if the waves started retreating and all that! Somewhat rational given what has happened lately, however, not very likely right!
Second fear - sharks and other animals in the water. I really enjoy swimming and I go out and swim in the ocean but the entire time I'm really anxious and kind of skittish. If anything touches me or I step on anything I freak out a little - only on the inside mind you. I try to act totally normal even though I'm scared!
Third fear - Getting sucked under in a rip tide or something. I always think - what if I get stuck out there and can't get back.
This kind of paranoia is so not healthy but again I can't seem to help it. It didn't help that when I got home I had an email about the dangers of the ocean that told me how nasty and polluted they are getting. Great - one more thing to worry about.
All in all I've decided to disregard all my fears and just enjoy the beautiful blue waters and gorgeous sunsets and try and be brave and act like a local - surf's up.
Oh, and one more thing, I think everyone who goes to southern california wishes they were as laid back and cool as the locals. They have there sun bleached hair all wind blown and fabulous looking. They have the coolest beach wear. You can pick out a tourist from a mile away. As for me, my hair just curled up into a hideous bob looking thing and my white legs (don't worry the fake tan faded!) were tell tale signs of my tourist status!
P.S. I'll post some pictures later - Maisey loved the water!
7 comments:
I can totally relate. I used to be sooo scared of sharks and killer whales; I was even scared they might be in the pool.
I am completely scared of the ocean too. mostly tsunamis and I play it out in my mind what it would be like and how terrified I would be with Luke. I don't even enjoy the ocean because of it. sad.
Lisa, You are not alone! We went to Hawaii for our honeymoon and although I loved every minute every time I swam out there I kept thinking a jelly fish was just going to swoop right over to me and engulf me in their tenticles. So retarded! Then when we would body surf the waves would suck me under and I would feel so scared that I wouldn't be able to escape. that the wave would just pull me under forever and all the salt in the water would suck the moisture right our of my body!
i'm just scared of the sharks. too many times watching "jaws" i guess. da na da na...danadanadana!
(that is the shark is getting closer music) you probably looked refreshing to the socal-ers. i'm sure they get tired of the same tan, blond people everywhere they looked.
I grew up in So. Cal and didn't really get a fear of the ocean until I became a mom. Now I don't want to do anything that could take me away from them. It has kind of turned me into a "chicken"!
hmmm, I grew up in So Cal but never looked like I just walked off the beach - although I wish I did because that was the cool thing - I always wished I had blonde hair. So glad I don't now - can you imagine all those years of dyeing your hair? Go brunettes!
That sounds awesome. I love reading what goes on in your mind. You always seem so cool and collected yet fun at the same time. I struggle with snorkeling due to an encounter with sea turtles when I was 13. I feel your worries all the way. Good for you for going for it. And yes I would love to meet up!
Post a Comment