Thursday, June 19, 2008

Public Service Announcements

Okay, so I since I've had two experiences in the last few days that could have been avoided had I had a warning I thought I would share them with you all so hopefully you can avoid them yourselves.

First, the movie "Fool's Gold" with Kate Hudsen and Mathew McConaughey. All of us saw "How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days", right? That movie was really good so of course we would presume that a movie with the same two actors would also be good, right? WRONG! Here's the thing, it's not just that the movie is pretty stupid - which it is. My biggest beef is that they have a full on girls gone wild flashing scene that came out of no where. Why didn't anyone tell me about that!!! I'm sitting there with my husband and all of a sudden some chick is flashing the screen. This movie is PG-13, that means little 13 year old kids can go and see this thing. What is going on hear! I was so mad. I didn't think by watching a PG-13 movie that I had signed up for nudity but apparently I should have read the warnings because it does say brief nudity. Anyways - just an FYI - do not see this movie!

I did find a website that rates movies called http://www.commonsensemedia.org/ so next time I'm going to watch a movie that I know nothing about I think I'll check this website to make sure I know what I'm getting in to.

Second PSA - not quite so damaging to my little spirit - more my appearance. Sunless tanning people! So we all know to stay out of the sun but yet we all want to be beautifully bronzed - at least I do. My sister in law always uses these Tan Towel's and she gets such a nice looking tan that I thought I would try them out. Here is my lovely result!

I'm nice and orange with the tell tale marks of a novice sunless tanner - what do I do? If any one has ant tips help me out. So there goes my PSA's for the week - You're Welcome!

14 comments:

Tenille said...

Lisa I have looked orange before by doing sunless tans. I just finally came to the conclusion that I am not talented enough to do those and look good. So I am trying the old fashion way just being out in the sun. But that way isn't fun either. And I agree with PG13 movies being very dirty. Thanks for the warning on that movie cause I would of assumed it would be good since How to lose a guy was so good.

whitney said...

done and done. thanks lisa. :)

April said...

I am still laughing!!!! I can't stop!!! Hey, look on the bright side, at least your face didn't turn out orange and blochy!! :)

Side note: I only do my legs and feet very lightly for the first go around because they tend to get orange more than the other parts of my body... i'll give you a little lesson on tan towels.

I was wanting to see that movie but now I won't... thanks! :)

I can't wait to read my new book. I am so excited! Thanks again! It was so fun to see you guys tonight!... I am still laughing about your feet!! Love ya lise!!

Jeremy and Nicole Stucki said...

Thanks for the warning on the sunless tan and the movie. Oh I and I just love Maisy in her swimsuits! She is just so cute. Babies in swimsuits is just the cutest thing ever. I still need to take Sadie swimming!

Ann said...

Screenit.com is another website that will tell you exactly what is in a movie. Brian and I have a clear player which is a DVD player that comes with a special little filter stick that edits movies. It's seriously so rad. You can only buy them at target. But anyway, you buy one and then call the number on the box, and they send you a special filter stick. Then, every time you rent a movie, you can download the filter for it. (it only takes a couple seconds) Then you can edit the movie however you want (you can take out sex, nudity, language, violence, bad attitudes--even disrespect! )and then watch a perfectly clean movie. We've totally loved it! Also, I'm sure you remember how i've not been blessed with tan skin, so i've tried my hand at sunless tanners before. I've never used the towels, but putting a lot of normal lotion on beforehand has helped me with the lotion kind.

Ann said...

Oh, I have a better idea! Why don't you just go to one of those new tanning salons where they airbrush a tan onto you?! My sister's friend was telling us about how she did that and it looked pretty darn good!

Maria said...

Yeah, I've done that before... now I just pretty much skip the feet!

Jenner said...

good to know about the movie. i usually use sunless tanning lotion or foam spray. i've never tried the towels. i just use a little tiny bit on the top of my feet. i'm sure it's not perfect, but i have never really cared that much. so i think you could take maisey to yosemite. looks like she gets out and about ok. just haul her around in a backpack or trailer and at the campground you could just leave her in a pack in play with some toys!

HeatherB said...

I, too, cannot master the art of sunless tanning. How do people do it?

-KJ said...

Hahahaha! That tan is awesome. Get some Fake Bake sunless tanner. If you just put it on your legs you can wash your hands in between each leg. If you do everything, get gloves. It is really dark lotion, so you can see exactly where you are putting it, or missing it for that matter!

AMEN on the movie!!! I was bugged too. Thanks for the website tip.

Jordan and Jodi said...

Thanks a MILLION for the comment about the movie and for the great website. People at work had said it was good but I don't really trust their judgment on movies! Guess this is one movie that is off our list to see! Thanks again for the heads up!

Sarah said...

all i have to say is thank you. you've done a good deed to post these warnings. hope you guys are well!

Lindsay said...

Haven't seen Fool's Gold...previews alone looked stupid. But, woman, I love your feet! I hope to have orange feet one day.

Starley Family said...

Intriguing about the sunless towlettes. A whole world of products I have never heard of...I usually just go with the mismatched bod. My face/arms usually tan really fast but my legs...it's been at least 6 years since they've been tan. What's up with that?