Thursday, November 12, 2009

Back to Basics


Lately I've been feeling this urge to learn every homemaking skill there is. I wanted nothing to do with that growing up when I had my mom as a resource there with me all the time. But lately I've been feeling that I may need some of those basic homemaking skills I've taken for granted over the years. It seems that we're returning to a domestic place that 50 or so years ago women were more than happy to get rid of. What I mean is that 50 years ago (give or take) women needed to have the skills to bake bread, sew clothes, etc. Then invention took over and more convenient ways to do most things were brought about. Now women don't seem to know how to do much of anything regarding the home (in general). We know how to BUY things for our homes, but we don't know how to DO anything for our homes or families. This has led me to feel insecure in the event that I could no longer purchase what I need for my family - even if I have all the necessary parts or ingredients I may not have the know how to make it work. All this being said - I am embarking on a Back to Basics adventure. If anyone would like to join me just let me know. If you have any resources or skills you can share let me know that too! To begin - I've relearned how to crochet (I know that's not life saving but it's a start). I've crocheted a border on a burp cloth and I am proud of myself! Oh, and if anyone has a homemade bread recipe that they LOVE please send it my way!

8 comments:

McLeod Clan said...

http://davisdukes.blogspot.com/2009/03/bread-baking-addiction.html
Go to this link Lisa. It's super easy and super tasty!!

Brooke said...

How darling! I want to learn how to do that. I think your idea is a great one and I'm anxious to see what else you teach yourself to do.

Ann said...

Um...is there any paticular reason you are needing a BOY burp cloth? I'm just wondering...

That's awesome, Lisa!
I'd like to learn how to use power tools.

Shan B. said...

That's so cute Lisa. I know how to make burp cloths, bibs, baby blankets, rag dolls. No clothes yet. No bread yet but I have been thinking about it. Good luck with your new adventure. Oh & remember to share what you learn. :)

Alicia said...

Good for you! I'm excited to see what you discover. :) I'm not sure if you'll be at CAW this year, but we'll be flying in and hope to see you there!

Starley Family said...

Next trip to Utah I will be hitting you up. What I would really LOVE to learn is knitting. Bless Betty for trying to teach me...

Lila said...

Awesome Lisa. I feel the same way.
I'll email you a great bread recipe. It isn't a sandwich bread loaf type but it is super yummy.

Ringer said...

Lisa, I've totally had the same feelings about wanting to learn new domestic skills lately! I am determined to learn how to sew better (I've been wanting to make a jean quilt for years) and I just got a couple great bread recipes I'll send to you.