
If you can believe it, I just had an hour of total quiet where I could just sit and read. It was bliss! I finished my book, "The Atonement", and it really had me thinking. It's been a while since I was in school and I realize that I miss thinking deeply about things. I go through most of my day thinking only about tasks and the things I have to do in the near future. I enjoyed thinking deeper about the themes in this book so I thought I'd share a few thoughts.
Disclaimer: this is my attempt at deep thinking, read on if you dare... if you'd rather not, the cliff notes version is this: good book, gives you a lot to think about, however, there is some language and adult scenes.
The basic premise of this book centers around perceptions and misunderstandings. The main character witnesses various interactions between other members of her family and she misinterprets them. She then takes her misinterpretations to an extreme by choosing to act upon what she perceives to be true, even though she isn't totally convinced. The book then chronicles the effects of those actions.
As I was reading the first section where the main character wrongly accuses someone of a crime based on her perception of what happened I found myself physically unable to read knowing what was coming - that someone was going to be unjustly condemned. I would look at the book, but not be able to read it because I wanted to stop the accusation from happening. I can't imagine how it would feel to be wrongly convicted of something.
More than that though, this book made me think of how I perceive the world around me. We all see the same actions occurring around us but how that translates into meaning within our own different paradigms of thinking is a whole different story.
The bottom line for me is that I came away with a new found respect for perspective. It is so easy to misunderstand people. Unless we are flat out told someones motives it is impossible to know. Therefore, when we assume someones motive for them we are often accusing and convicting them of a "crime" they in no way intended to commit. I hope that I can truly learn to give people the benefit of the doubt. This brings new dimension to the commandment, "judge not that ye be not judged".
If you actually read all this feel free to share your wisdom on this with me.
11 comments:
You should come to book club. We're meeting next Thursday at my house 7pm. Discussing Sense and Sensibility by, Jane Austen. (Or watch the movie if you don't have time.) :)
i too loved that book. i took from it many of the things you did, about perspective, and the power we have to change people's lives, for good or bad. i also thought it was ironic how briony is the guilty character here, and she is the one who goes on to lead a full life (well, maybe not full as i believe she is haunted with this crime, and tries to "atone" for it her whole life), and the two victims get cheated out of love and even life, and especially quality of life.
i liked how the whole book basically kept you in suspense. when i finally read the truth, i was so sad. i read it over again several times to make sure i understood correctly. it was so tragic for them not to have the things we want them to have. but i guess that is life sometimes.
thanks for sharing your thoughts. did i send you an invite to the website good reads? it is so cool. i don't know if i have your email, but mine is morganpryde@yahoo.com. email me if you want to know more about it.
oh yeah, i also meant to tell you. we were going to do that tri on july 12th, but my dad can't do that date, so we are doing the same one on the 2nd of august. you should do it on that date too! :)
i'm excited though, it will be fun to do all 3 at the same time.
Hi Lisa, I saw your blog on Ann's blog. You look great and I love your little family! Your daughter is BEAUTIFUL--how old is she? Where do you live now?
Jodi, Jordan, & Ally McDonald
Well. I won't have anything else to add because I haven't read the book. But, little Lisa, YOU made me want to read it. So I'll get back to you when that's done.
You know Lisa, two things from my deep thoughts, which are scary! Number one, I too miss thinking, like really pondering in my mind you know. We get going in life after school, whether it be a mom, or just in a day to day job, and things become just things. Second is about perceptions. One of my managers that I worked with once said "Perception is reality". Peoples minds are powerful and if they perceive something to be it is reality to them. so scary what one persons PERCEPTION can bring because of the way that the mind unfolds the "so called" truth in our worlds. It's so important to always step back and look at situations with a clear mind and with the right intentions huh.
I have not read this book, though I think i will now. I have thought about this concept a lot in the many times that we have moved and been introduced to new people. I feel like I am often mis-read so I appreciate the benefit of the doubt =) I have had more than one person tell me a leave a bad first impression. We can talk more about it after I read the book as I can see you didn't spoil it=)
Wow you guys - I have really smart, deep thinking friends - I love it! I too often feel misunderstood at times. I think I often misunderstand people too though. I think if I could just change my way of thinking to always assume the best and always give people the benefit of the doubt I would have less akward moments. Whenever I think something negative is going on, it's like Meghan said, I have convinced myself that the negative is real whether or not I have any basis for that and then it's so hard to get past those initial thoughts. Someday I'll be better. Keep sharing your wisdom with me!!!
Hey Lisa thanks. If you want that blog roll you sign into draft.blogger.com and go into customize and get a new blog roll. It is pretty easy, good luck.
By the way, your baby is super cute!
I have been loving to read lately. It seems like I don't have the time that I would like to do it, but since having children my brain has been in a continuous state of atrophy!
I have wanted to read this book, and now I can't wait!
Oh, I have read your "current read" and it is good too. Lots of good, easy principles.
Post a Comment